Wednesday 28 November 2007

Morality, Ethics and Compassion in sex work.

As a sex worker, my clients and I operate outside the moral code as defined by religion. There is no such thing as morality outside of religion such as Christianity or maybe some sections of Islam. Morality begins and ends with religion. Once outside this boundary, the only limit is the law of the land. There is no law of the land that limits sex work. This means that a sex worker and her clients are free to do anything they please, and indeed they do.

Sex workers do not pay any income tax
Sex workers do not have to insist on wearing condoms
Sex workers are not subject to any trading laws that other businesses are subject to
Sex workers are not usually named in divorce cases as third parties. They remain anonymous
Sex workers have no Guild, professional body or compulsory skills audit or standards commission.
Sex workers do not have to take exams or show anyone any qualifications.

So in essence sex workers have total and absolute freedom of the law and of morality.

Ethics, like the law and morality must be written down. As far as I know there are no professional or incidental or even human ethics governing the work, conduct or practice of a sex worker. All these mean that you cannot approach a sex worker and start telling them to use condoms basing your view on matters moral, legal or ethical, because their business is outside all three.

If you invoke compassion, for example I was forever asked if I should feel sorry for the wives and children of my clients who get HIV after the man has been with me. My view was always that the man knows his family very well, and he does not believe that they should be safe from HIV. Who am I, an outsider, to interfere with that view. If the man thought his wife and children were worthy of freedom from HIV, he would not come to me at all. He would nurture his relationship with his wife, or if she was sexually incapacitated, he would beg me to roll a condom onto him. The fact that he pays me more to agree to have condomless sex means his family are not important. So again compassion does not come into the matter at all. If it did it would come through the man himself.

An HIV positive sex worker has very little to lose compared to a married man with children and whose wife is still young enough to have more children. If compassion was an issue, he would have it towards his wife and children. He doesn't, so it isn't. A sex worker's focus is money and money only.

After all the virus is an intruder in my body. I do not control its activities. I do not own it. I do not want it. It does what it wants to do. Writing a law limiting my activities just because I happen to be host to an independent virus is a bit unfair on me. After all humanity passed the virus to me by force. At least I offer condom to all my clients. Those that refuse are simply expressing a preference for HIV. I cannot be expected to lose income over someone else's decision.

No comments: