Wednesday 13 August 2008

A little Girl, Jane

I am upset. A little girl I have known for three and half years died yesterday. She was nearly 7 years old and HIV positive. She has had the most miserable life and has suffered untold pain sometimes requiring total nursing which was provided by a family with their own four children. This means this family and especially the four children, have had to suffer with the little girl and will greive in her death.

There will be the usual search of who caused her death through witchcraft and other things, but we know that it was the little girl's daddy who willed that his daughter should have such a life. It was daddy, and now daddy is long gone along with mummy. It was daddy.

There is no escaping it.

My involvement in her life probably added time to her misery. But at the time I was sure life was better than death. For little children born positive and in poverty, death seems to me a much better option than life. But we still will not let them go.

Hope daddy is happy now, wherever he is. I keep picturing that family happy and thriving had daddy been faithful to mummy. Mummy recieved the virus without a protest or scream. It was her marital duty to do so.

They are all just pictures in my head now. Jane is really gone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not even know what to say after reading so many of your blogs. I am honestly speechless. I do not know what can be done to help the plight of Africa and your people. Aid helps but it just does not do enough it would seem, it can not do enough. Will war? Occupation? Eugenics? It makes me cry to think about the life and events you describe. No human being should ever go through what you have. Do not let the darkness of that fucking continent completely block the light of your beauty.

From America,
with compassion,
-ADP

Anonymous said...

Africa has gone beyond where someone can do something.