Monday 4 August 2008

Changing views

In 2005 a relation of mine was very happy to show off his new acquisition to me when I visited Zimbabwe. He had got rid of his wife and five children, accusing her of being a witch in 1999, and now he was married to a new wife aged 26. He is 64. The Zimdollar continued to fall and now teachers are not as affluent as they used to be.

I was saddened to receive a phonecall yesterday stating that his new wife, himself, and one of the two children they have had since, are seriously ill. He is asking for help with ARVs. He is the same man who once told me to go and commit suicide because "You bring shame to the family by your work, just think what happens if you become HIV positive." I was alread positive then but he did not know, or he might have killed me himself.

Men are the biggest threat to Zimbabwean civilization and survival.

His ex-wife now works in Australia and has educated her five children well. I do not think they will be going to their dad's funeral.

No comments: